Merger talks began in 2016 between Baptist Memorial Health Care and Mississippi Baptist Health Systems. Learn more about each individual system and the combined organization.
Together, the combined organization…
- Is one of the largest not-for-profit health care systems in the country (measured by total number of hospitals)
- Is the largest provider in the Mid-South
- Is the largest health care system in Mississippi
- Is Mississippi’s fourth largest employer
- Serves every county in Mississippi
- Serves half the population of Mississippi
Facts About Baptist Memorial Health Care’s Mississippi Presence Before the Merger
- Baptist Memorial has maintained a significant presence in Mississippi for more than 20 years.
- In addition to Mississippi Baptist, Baptist Memorial’s Mississippi presence includes the following:
- Six affiliate hospitals
- Three Baptist Cancer Center locations
- Open-heart surgery services in two hospitals
- A behavioral health facility
- Labor and delivery in four hospitals
- Nearly 40 Baptist Medical Group clinics that employ more than 130 doctors and nurse practitioners
- Last year, Baptist Memorial’s Mississippi hospitals had
- 4,600 births
- 21,000 surgeries
- 36,000 inpatient admissions
- 174,000 outpatient visits
- 190,000 ER visits
- Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi will open a new $300 million replacement hospital in Oxford, Mississippi, in November 2017.
Facts About Baptist Memorial Health Care
- Baptist Memorial, which is headquartered in Memphis, Tennessee, was founded by the Southern Baptist Conventions of Tennessee, Arkansas and Mississippi in Memphis in 1912.
- Before the merger with Mississippi Baptist, the Baptist system comprised 17 affiliate hospitals in West Tennessee, North Mississippi and East Arkansas; home, hospice and psychiatric care; minor medical centers and clinics; a network of surgery, rehabilitation and other outpatient centers; and an education system highlighted by the Baptist College of Health Sciences.
- Baptist Memorial Health Care owns Baptist Medical Group, a patient-centered, physician-led and professionally managed multispecialty physician group employing more than 500 providers and representing more than 42 specialties in West Tennessee, East Arkansas and North Mississippi.
- Baptist Memorial has more than 2,300 licensed beds systemwide.
- The Baptist system has more than 4,000 affiliated physicians and employs more than 14,000 people.
- In fiscal year 2016, Baptist Memorial hospitals discharged 87,225 patients, had more than 413,863 emergency room visits and performed 50,912 surgical procedures.
- The Baptist system consistently ranks among the top integrated health care networks in the nation.
- Baptist Memorial became the first organization in the world to receive a 10-star rating from Epic, one of the largest electronic health record providers in the nation. The distinction means that Baptist has adopted more of Epic’s nearly 700 “Gold Star items” than any other health care organization.
- Consumers have named Baptist Memorial’s flagship hospital―Baptist Memphis―their choice for Best Hospital, Best Nurses, Best Doctors and Best Overall Quality for 20 consecutive years.
- In 2014, U.S. News & World Report rated Baptist DeSoto as Mississippi’s No. 1 hospital.
Facts About Mississippi Baptist Health System
- Mississippi Baptist opened Jackson, Mississippi’s first hospital in 1911.
- Mississippi Baptist Health Systems is the parent company of Baptist Medical Center in Jackson; Baptist Medical Centers in Attala, Leake, and Yazoo counties; and a number of related health care services and programs.
- Mississippi Baptist treats patients from all 82 Mississippi counties and all 50 states.
- Mississippi Baptist’s medical staff includes approximately 600 board-certified physicians representing more than 50 medical specialties.
- Mississippi Baptist employs more than 3,000 health care professionals, manages 21,500 admissions and 194,000 clinic visits annually, and will see more than 100,000 emergency department patients this year.
- Baptist Medical Center has earned Magnet™ designation from the American Nurses’ Credentialing Center, an affiliate of the American Nurses Association.
- Baptist Medical Center was recognized in 2017 by Healthgrades as one of America’s 100 Best Hospitals™ for orthopedic surgery, joint replacement and prostate surgery.
- Baptist Medical Center was selected as one of America’s 50 Best Hospitals for vascular surgery.
- For two years in a row, Mississippi Baptist received the Healthgrades Outstanding Patient Experience Award and holds more Joint Commission Disease Specific Certifications than any other hospital in Mississippi.